I got shot in the face today.
I have played in 12 tournaments and been bunkered many times - I play back so I'm usually the last guy as the other side cleans up- so I have been thru my fair share of getting whacked as the last guy. I have been shot in the head a few times too.
I have however, never ever been shot in the head under my mask.
At first I thought it was part of the game. But after I had a good think about it - and I know the game inside and out. I brought my case to Ben - and he found it hard to admit that it this was not a case of playing with intent to injure.
This is my case-
I was standing in my bunker and shooting out the right side. I didn't know that my team was all dead. So the guy runs thru on the left and shoots me in the head.
1. I am STANDING UP in my bunker- not crouching down in a small bunker where if he sprayed a few - some shots might hit me in the head. My back was facing him.
2. I am facing the other side the whole time- my marker was out on the right side- there was no chance for me to come around to shoot him. He wasn't in any duress to shoot me.
3. Which leads to 3- he had all the time in the world to shoot me- my back was to him and my whole body was fully extended in a STANDING POSITION.
- He could have shot me in the back
- Should have shot me in the pack.
- But he aimed high at my head.
4. There was only ONE shot. Its not like there was a spray coming around the bunker- but there was only single ONE shot. He had a good look - had all the time in the world to make that one shot - he knew he only needed one shot.
NOW tell me that's not playing with malicious indention to cause injury.
It is an unspoken rule in paintball- that if you have to bunker a guy- you aim low for his pack
First reason is you want a hard area where the paint will definitely break.
Second reason is if you aim low there is a better chance of hitting something rather than a chance of the guy squatting and you shoot high and hit nothing and the guy gets you instead.
Third reason is just purely etiquette-you wouldn't like it if someone shot you in the head.
SO I have this bloody lump on the side of my face- of which I have to live with for the next 2 weeks. I usually don't talk about paintball to poeple who dont know what I do on weekends. I never talk about the games and my wounds etc- this one will be plainly obvious. I wont be able to hide this one.
I will have to answer the same questions many times and people will be telling me what a dangerous game it is. Older folks and parents will be telling me what a stupid game it is.
So every time I am reminded if this shot on my face - I will curse his name. I will count how many times I curse his name every day and post it on this blog.
TO add salt to the wound - I had to cancel a date with a girl I have been trying to ask out for the longest time. This wound is not one for making a good first impression. I don't get to go out on dates and having to cancel it...
What pisses me off is people saying sorry after a game. Hey I'm the one who got shot in the face - I have to walk around with this.
EDIT> Fuck apologies.